Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Things No One Wants To Hear

Here comes the worse part about residency: injuries. In three weeks you can expect something unfortunate to happen, but this year we've had quite our fair share of falls. Almost all of them have been fine where the skater just gets frustrated and gets up but last night we had a more serious fall.
While the guys were skating Justin Mannon kicked the wall with one skate, and got twisted around and hit his head into the plexi glass. His helmet was cracked in the back in two places and there was a lot of concern about his neck (which is very sore today). They took him back to sports medicine at the Olympic Training Center for x-rays which came up negative and then they took him over to the hospital for a CT scan which thankfully also came up negative.
That is of course the most serious problems we've had. But there has been a lot of skin burned on the track thus far. Personally my only problem to this point is swelling in my Achilles tendon which is really aggravating. (I try not to talk about myself but..) It's frustrating because today I tried putting my skate on and even standing with my skate hurt. This is my last year of Junior World Class and because you never know what can happen in the future I'm trying to make the most of it but things like this really irritate me and others I'm sure.
Mind Games: Everyone can play them. The coaches have a few up their sleeves today too. During one of the drills they told the girls if they could maintain a certain lap average they would be done for the day. Well the girls did it, and at the end the coaches said, "Now we know what you can really do."

No comments: