Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

Well, today is Father's Day. Considering I don't have a mother I guess Father's Day is pretty significant for me. This year is the first time I guess I ever really put any thought into Father's Day. Growing up my siblings and I were partial to my mother because my father worked so much we didn't get to spend nearly as much time with him as we did with my mother, that would have to be my biggest regret I guess, especially realizing what became of both of them as people. Growing up my parents argued a lot and my mom always made my dad out to be the bad guy and made it seem like he was holding her back as a person, but she did always tell us that he loved us no matter what. It's just funny to me because when I was 15 and my parents split up we got to see the true colors. As far as I am concerned my mother died that year, figuratively speaking of course. She is still alive, but not as my mother. On a different note this has nothing to do with my mother just getting to the rest.

On the opposite side my father you could say flourished. The days of seeing my father angry and having such a short fuse dwindled down and he really displayed a whole other level of affection for my siblings and I. I can't say my father and I haven't had our arguments, shortcomings, or disagreements but in the end I can't say he hasn't been there throughout my life no matter what. He's always been there for my family and I, even when it seems as if it was something we should have been able to handle ourselves. My father has always wanted better for us. For any shortcomings my father may have he makes up for it with love and support that he shows us.

In the end there are many things I have learned from my dad, both directly and indirectly that I will take through life. The best thing my dad has ever shared for me is his desire for my success and wanting the best for me even if it meant taken less for himself. I could tell if I grow up to be half the man he is then I will grow up a good man. But that wouldn't be acceptable. If there is one thing my dad has given me it's a desire to never settle for what I have, to strive for what's ahead, and to always try to become better. If I told my dad today I wanted to be half the man he is today, he would be disappointed in me and tell me I have to better then that.

Most of all my dad has given me skating. Throughout the last 14 years he supported me every step of the way from my first pair of skates until the wheels I'll put on my skates in the future. His spent countless dollars driving me everywhere and buying what I needed. After all of these years he only sees me race now, so I try to repay him with effort when I lace my skates up because that may be the only way I ever could. He's been there when I won my first race. When I qualified for my first nationals. When I won my first national title. When I made my first world team. Even when Philadelphia Airport made me wait in line for 4 hours and miss my flight to Miami on my way to my first worlds. He was there when I won that medal in Colombia. One day I hope to let him see me make an Olympic team. Some day I hope we win an Olympic medal. Me on the ice and him watching.

No comments: