Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What Started It All

I was eight or nine years old. I was a JO Juvenile boy. I was skating I believe in Wharton , NJ, at a keystone speed league meet. I was skating in the second heat. The distance was 500m.. the long race.

I got second place off the start but the skater in first had a great start getting away from me within the first lap. He was in the lead and I was in second by myself, just running after the lead. I caught him with just a lap and a half remaining in the race. Coming around the next turn, as the final lap bell was ringing I made my pass for the lead. As soon as I made the pass even at nine or ten, I instantly felt my legs get heavy and I did my all to hold on to win the race.

I came off the floor, most likely smiling, my parents congratulating me.

And that was the first race I ever won.

After three years, I won my very first race. The thrill of victory, the feeling afterward, and the way everyone congratulates immediately after a victory unlike anything else. That made me want to win a lot more.


Another moment that I vividly remember is from 2006. I had just finished a race at nationals and I was sitting in the ready area taking my skates off when a primary boy from my team approached me. He asked me, "How do you always win." I smiled. I don't remember my exact words like I remember his, but I believe I told him that I don't always win but I always try to and that if he wants to win he has to go to practice and skate as fast as he can every time.

That same day, he went down to the vendor area where the Send The Best booth was set up and asked whoever was working the booth at the time, if next year when I have a trading card if they could save him one so he can buy it. I remind you in 2006 I did not make the world team, and I did not have a trading card that year and there was no guaranteeing I would have one the next year either.

Sure enough I made the world team in 2007 and I had a trading card. The boy did not attend nationals that year but I remember buying a trading card, signing it, and personally giving it to him the next time I saw him.

If I told you every time I got on the starting line winning wasn't on my mind I would be lying. Ever since that first win I have wanted nothing more than to win every race I ever skate again. But I also can't explain the disappointment I have felt coming off the skating floor after I did not finish first and seeing a primary, juvenile, or elementary skater standing there watching me roll by.

At first I always wanted to win because it felt good for me. I was congratulated coming off the floor. But as I got older I realized winning, can mean so much even though winning is not and never will be the most important aspect.

No comments: