Sunday, June 20, 2010

Eastern Seaboard Series Race #2

Alright, yesterday was the second race of the 2010 Eastern Seaboard Series. For some reason I feel like writing about outdoor races because I love outdoors so much. Anyway, the first race we had Cheex show up which was awesome. This race we had Oliver Jean show up which was even cooler for me. Oliver has skated trexlertown before but not in the last few seasons. If you don't know, he is a Canadian short track speed skater that won a gold medal in the 5k relay at the Vancouver Olympics. Furthermore, he might be one of the tallest short track skaters at 6'2".

Anyway, the first race I skated was the 5k on the flat track. I skated with one of our younger skaters and it was okay. It's fun to watch a five year old skate a 5k and never put their hands on their knees or never stop moving their feet even for a second. It reminds you that something like that can be done, you just have to ignore the mental aspect and do it.

After that the Pro Masters and Veterans skated their race which is normally when I am warming up for my race so I end up missing most of it. They skated a pretty good race from what I could tell, the pack stayed together throughout the race unlike the last race.

Next up was the Pro Freshman through Senior Men. We had a pretty good race going. I took an unfortunate spill on what I think was the second mile and that really sucked. I popped right back up and caught back up to the pack within the next 400m but it really sucks falling. Not only did I fall but I think I fell pretty hard. All of the areas I fell on are swollen and I managed to get more marks then I should. I got my trademark which is my shin, then I got my mid-thigh, hip, ribs, inside forearm, and I think my head might have hit the ground because the one side of my neck is pretty stiff too. The only good part about the fall is afterwards I was pretty mad that I fell and normally it makes me focus a little more and become a little more efficient. I wish I knew exactly what triggers me to focus more when I get angry but it's been that way my entire career and I've never figured it out really.
The race had a decent pace with few breakaways. The thing about breakaways is that they only occur if the pace drops down a lot and keeping the pace steady eliminates most breaks. On the last lap the pace usually gets pretty slow. The first race Cheex took care of that by keeping it fast and this race Oliver took off as the bell was ringing which worked except back in the woods he let up a lot and the pace got a little slow and there was a ridiculous amount of grabbing during a 100m stretch. Both races so far this year I've played it a little risky by making my move really really late compared to what I normally would do. The first race I came about 10m short losing by just a little and this time I came up the exact opposite way by having around 10m to spare and winning by just a little so it works both ways.

Next up was the Pro Freshman thru Senior Women's race. Usually they have a ridiculously slow race but they have been getting better at going faster the last few races. The same people definitely end up leading their race but the thing the kind of annoys me is that when they go slow no one even attempts to breakaway. I just don't see any strategy in their races and it's more like we'll all just stay together and sprint at the end and the best sprint may win. The top three finished Sam Goetz, Alex Harris, and Chelsea Creveling which is a pretty good top three considering all of them were 2009 world team members.

Lastly was the advanced race and unfortunately I failed to watch the majority of this race except for the beginning which I apologize for. Being that last race I normally end up chatting during this race with skaters that do not make it down often. This time I chatted with Oliver for awhile and I was in complete awe looking at his Vancouver Gold Medal. Something like that just blows me away. I can't imagine having my own someday even though that is the goal.

No comments: