Monday, November 29, 2010

Ice

Well, another week down. I've gotten consistently faster every week on the ice. Every week my 1000m gets about 2 seconds faster (at least thus far) so I am hoping that will continue for a little while. I am still focusing 100% on my technique because I still have a lot of work to do. A few things are coming easier but there are always more things I find to work on and that I need to fix.

So far one thing that is taking some time to get use to is that everyone doesn't have the same goals as I do which is weird. It makes perfect sense though, everyone who skates inlines doesn't have the goal of winning a gold medal at worlds. So it's similar that everyone here does not have the same goal as making the Olympics and winning Olympic Medals. It's still hard some times. I see people slack off a little, or stop a drill a few minutes early and I just think to myself what are they thinking? Then I realize.. maybe that don't have the same goals as I do.

There are times I am doing drills that aren't specifically on the ice or are on my own at some point I think, if I stop a few minutes early no one will know. Then immediately I tell myself the only person I am hurting is myself and that I will always know. That I have big goals and that if running those extra few minutes will get me there then I'll do it every time.

People tell me I am worrying too much about the little things, that I should relax because it's only my 3rd week on the ice or whatever it is. They say you're doing great for being new and you're doing better then the last one. None of these things are acceptable to me. I feel like if you aren't paying attention to what you are doing, not trying to figure out what you are doing wrong and how you can fix it then why are you doing something? If improvement is not the goal then what is? I ask questions because I have a lot to learn, I have a lot to fix. I change this little thing or that thing and see how it looks and feels so I can do it better. I won't relax because the goal is still a long ways away. They tell me I am trying to fix everything overnight but what is the other option? Wait until tomorrow? If I try to fix everything tonight then it stays fresh in my mind, next time I get on the ice I still remember where I left off at and eventually I will fix some of the technical issues I have and move on to the next one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have those same thoughts when it comes to my outdoor inline training. I've got some hills on my training course, right at the end. Mid-way through the training season I made a decision to ALWAYS take the last hill, no exceptions. Funny how you start to regret those kinds of decisions on windy days...I can't tell you how many times I had to tell myself that I'd be the one being cheated if I didn't do it.