Sunday, September 5, 2010

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Well.. by the time September is over I will only have 8 days left in Pennsylvania spread across two months. Home will always be home but its still weird being so close but seeming so far away at the same time. I've spent all of my time since ODN working and skating. Literally, that is all that I've done. I haven't had two days off of work in a row yet (I do for Duluth) and I've been skating the whole time.

I'm excited in the type of shape I'm in right now. I have a lot of work still to do in a little bit of time but I feel good. I'm stronger then I ever have been which is awesome. Strength is always a positive but it doesn't replace the speed aspect of skating. So in return, I have sprints and intervals to do... lots and lots of them which should bring my speed back up. I'm probably the only 'sprinter' who would rather skate intervals then sprints. I hate doing sprint practices because it leads to my demise and by demise I mean me.. on the side of the road/track.. vomiting.

I like the mindset that I have right now. Heading into the stretch run of the inline season I feel strong mentally more than anything which is probably the best. I'm really in tune with my body right now so I can tell when I need to take a day easy or when it wont be really good interval day. Leading into residency I'm happy that I'm pretty strong right now because all I need to do is fine tune which is what residency is all about. Residency is about 85% mental I think. When you get the top skaters in one place, every drill becomes the hardest drill you've ever done and at that point it's a mental game with yourself to continue so going into it with a great mindset should make it easier.

I can't wait for residency, it'll be the first time this year I can train without working at all which should be pretty cool. I'm really excited to get back to Colombia. I hope I don't end up disappointed but I loved it so much the last time I was there so hopefully that will be pretty cool.

No comments: