Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Now and The Future

Right now I am enjoying my Senior year of High School. Back in June I made the decision to run XC so since I got back from worlds that is what has grasped most of my attention. In my second week I am finally past the point where I can run and still walk up the steps at home normally (I was crawling up them the first week). At my school you must have 10 days of practice in before you can participate in the event so next Tuesday will be my first XC race and I'll probably give an update after that.
I decided to run XC for a few reasons. One is that I really wanted to get back into running shape but I just couldn't manage to do it on my own. Now that I am in running shape I don't plan on losing it for a very long time. The thing about being in running shape is that you can use it for a warm up off-skates and it works so well but if you aren't in shape for it you're doing your body worse. The second reason I decided to run XC is because I always enjoyed it and we have a biker on our team who started half-way through last years season and ended up going to states so I thought what the heck we'll see what I can do. And it's my Senior year so I'd rather not look back and wonder what if.
Saturday is my first ice practice since somewhere around March. I will make every one possible from this point on and in terms of skating ice will be pretty much my number one priority for a few months. This will be my second full season of ice and it should just get better then last year.
October 12th marks my leagues first indoor meet. So that starts the indoor season. I'm looking to skate acceptable all year indoor but I have no particular goal for indoor. I want to skate good indoor because I hate to lose but I think it's pretty clear what my focus will be.
My mind is already set for June. I know what I did last year and I know what I have to do this year. The only awkward part is I know how hard I trained last year and I know I should feel like the task I'm trying to do is almost impossible but I don't. It's doable. I know how hard I have to train and it won't be that bad. Yes it will be hard and tiring but that's what I skate for. I wouldn't skate if it was easy. To make the jump I want to make, more of my changes will happen before I even tie my skates.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

keith. im adding your blog to my page. it's very nicely done. see you sometime!