Monday, September 1, 2008

What I Want

Gijon 2008. Spain. World Championships. As an athlete at this level what do I want?
I am not a Joey Mantia, if I don't get gold medals no one will be disappointed or upset. I am a Keith Carroll. No one here may no my name. And next year they still won't know who I am. But what do I want out of my races? I want to lay everything out on the track and go home with my pride and whatever else that may bring me. I know up to this point I have trained about as good as I could have this year and whatever I do in my races if it was my personal best then I'll be fine with those results.
If those results bring me home a medal, be it a bronze medal or a gold medal then that will be great. But truthfully, I am here for myself. If I win a medal that would be great but no one will remember I won that medal next year anyway.
Now if I skate the same races as last year, I want to do better then last year. I don't care if it is by a placement or 10 I want to do better. I don't care if my 300m is a second slower if it gets me better then 9th place then those results are fine with me.

No comments: