Monday, January 18, 2010

Hmmm

This weekend I was a little busy with Kyle's birthday party then orientation all day Sunday. But I did catch some of the streaming of West Palm that TVMR did. I remember West Palm use to be an indoor/outdoor event but as it has evolved now it's just outdoor (which is fine to me). But is an outdoor only event that features a bank track and road course best suited for January? Just an idea.

Am I the only one who thinks that meet could grow substantially (as an outdoor only event) if it was in march-april-may-june (any of those months are better suited in my opinion). If ODN is in the first week of August or last week of July as it looks like it will be then could that meet not grow a lot in June? Students are out of school or getting out of school, everyone pretty much knows if they are going to ODN, and it's warm enough across the nation for a majority of people to skate outdoor regularly.

I am a big outdoor fan and I would love to skate this meet but in January it just doesn't make that much since for me to go to Florida to race a lot of people that are not in outdoor shape which from watching.. a lot of people are not in outdoor shape. In January I just don't believe that there is anything to gain from that meet. If you do good then you get a false since of security considering you weren't racing many people that were in shape, and if you do bad you shrug it off and say you haven't been skating outdoor much.

With Outdoor Nationals so late this year it is a great opportunity for a 2 or 3 day outdoor only meet that could potentially be bigger then outdoor nationals.. especially in an area with a lot of skaters in a smaller radius like Florida or NC.

Just a thought..

1 comment:

Jimmy Blair II said...

Keith, alot of people are thinking that. And the way it was run, wow... thats why we are doing a 3 day event for ours in march, with almost a full day of outdoor racing