Thursday, July 31, 2008

Expectations

First I want to apologize, over the course of a summer you stop using correct writing format and just start typing. I guess all the email, texting, and myspace got me out of the habit of writing in paragraphs. Hopefully my post will become a little easier on the eyes now that it has been brought to my attention!
This is always a touchy subject for me: Expectations. I don't want to go into too many personal expectations because one it's really early and two things change. But, as team USA I think we should expect to do much better then we did last year. Last year the USA team finished fourth overall in total medals, third in gold medals. But Joey literally won half of our total medals, a number that the rest of us she be ashamed of. Four of the remaining eight medals were won in relays and the last four were won by Brittany (200 and 500 on road) Mariah (300 track) and Bri (10k road). In the last decade the USA team only failed to get 20 medals 4 times and 3 of those four are the last 3 years! 2007, 2006, and 2005. I feel that the USA team is capable of 20 medals.
Last year and 2006 for a matter of fact, the US Junior Men's team has not brought home an individual medal. I believe that out of the six of us this year we can get it done. Last year we had two 4th place finishes, a 6th, four 7th's, and a 9th. All eight of those top 10 finishers came in just 5 races, the 1000m and below. That means in 5 races we have 10 competitors (two per distance for every country) and eight out of the ten were placed in the top ten (the other two placements were an 11 place and a 14th). In the longer distances are best finishes were two 12th places. One in the 20k elim by Kimani and one by Hank in the marathon.
Brittany ended up with two individual medals last year and at least two more 4th place finishes. I feel she can replicate or improve those results. And the Junior women's team looks so strong to me this year but we will have to wait and see how everything goes! Wish us luck in our training and preparation.

No comments: