Wednesday, March 28, 2012

2005 - The year we don't speak of

One thing I have always done, from the very beginning is set goals. I don't know if it can be considered a strength because everyone sets goals.. or they should. But I never lost sight of my goals. I set them and then I remember them. Then when I felt tired or lackadaisical I would remember that I didn't want to fail to meet my own goal.

2005 was a weird year for me because I don't remember a ton about it like I do the other years. I remember I skated for Mogema that year and that I switched from my 84's to 90's.. but I used a 4x100m frame and an adapter plate to make the boot and frame work together.

For everyone my age, 2005 is the year we don't speak of. It's weird that so many of us can think so poorly about a certain year but.. this is the one. Outdoor, it was my first year of Jr which meant it was going to be a rough year basically.. but you never quite no. I was still terrible outdoor at this time.. my only bright spot being the medals I won in 2004 as a freshman. At the trexlertown series I got killed.. kept up with the pro pack for like 2 or 3 laps and I was toast.. would get lapped by them at least once (the course is over a mile). I don't even know how I was THAT bad outdoor. Going to ODN was a learning experience. The only thing I can legitimately remember is at one point Jeff saying, "This will make or break you."

Luckily, for me it only made me want everything that much more. But probably one of the only times in my skating career, ODN in 2005, that I was just embarrassed. Even the races I was suppose to be okay in I did terrible. But then again, I didn't have aspirations to win anything that year. Although we did win both Jr. Relays at ODN setting both of the records. I guess that was cool. But I didn't go there with any expectations and it wasn't like the world was ending when I was losing.. I was 14.. racing some that were 17 I was suppose to lose.

Indoor Nationals was suppose to be different though. Top of the division, placing at every big meet. Everything was suppose to go well. There was so many of us that year, probably our best year as a group. Jake, Colin, Dallas, Me, Hank, Kevin.. so many of us got points that year. All of us thought we were going to win that year. Naturally, I still had a great start so I figured I should have the best shot with a 500 and a 300. Things still went bad. The 500 I didn't make the final, getting knocked out in the semi. I was pretty pissed about that. The 300 I skated with a vengeance. I won every round of the 300 I skated including the final. I think going into the final race, the 1000m Jake and I were tied for first, Dallas and Colin were tied for third just 5 points back, Hank was in fifth 10 points back.

In the semi I think Colin, Jake, Kevin, Jordin Stelly, and I were all in the same semi. I led the beginning, with about two and a half laps to go Colin passed me, I was in second. I thought I was fine and wouldn't have to move up. I had only two and a half laps to go how could I move that far back. With one and a half laps to go Jordin passed me, now I was in third. Going into the final turn Jake went to through a pass on me and I don't remember if we kicked skates or just bumped but I remember both of us going wide... really wide.. near the check in chairs wide. From about a corner back Kevin came by both of us.. claiming the third and final spot in the 1000m final. My goal of winning was over. Even worse chances of my reaching the podium were very slim at this point even with the new rule that year of 4 on the podium. The final couldn't have been crazier two early DQ's left just four on the track. Colin and Dallas separated themselves from the other two.. by a straightaways length. Colin was leading with just a lap to go when Dallas passed him. The very next straightaway Colin went to through a very late passed on Dallas, Now considered a bomb. The pass had no chance, Dallas and Colin both went down.. Hard. Colin knew he would be DQ'd and had no real reason to get up. Dallas didn't get up.. Hank from way back came across the line.. celebrating his victory to be crowned overall division champion.

If you are wondering, we still occasionally mention the celebration to Hank, which he normally gets a little embarrassed about. But in the end three people finished the 1000m. Dallas eventually got up and went across the line for third in the race.
When it was said and done Hank stood atop the champion with 50 points, Dallas in second with 35 points, Jake third with 30 points, Myself in fourth with 30 points, Colin in fifth with 25 points, and Jordin Stelly in 6th with 20 points.

This is might be the only time I can remember setting a goal and failing to meet it. In the end, I think it was a blessing in disguise.

No comments: