Monday, February 16, 2009

Meet Review: Roanoke

The biggest indoor meet of the year. (Yes I am claiming it is bigger then Indoor Nationals). The general review:
The floor in my opinion was great. I will not fault the floor for dust/dirt that accumulates. In the mornings the floor was flat out great. About as tight as a floor can be. They dust mopped it throughout the competition but with the construction going on outside nearby, and having 400-500 skaters plus parents and family members in one rink will create particles that make their way on the floor. Every morning the floor was once again great so I commend them of cleaning it again after we left every night.
The competition was good for just about every division which is what you want to see. A couple things that stand out to me are that some periods of time they seemed to let a lot go in races, which in other periods of time they wouldn't allow anything go. But that is just the way it is, nothing that can really be fixed, it all depends on who the official is and how they feel, if it sounds wrong too bad it's the way human nature works. Other then that I was a little disappointed that for some reason there just wasn't that one athlete that really made a difference to me. No one seemed to really come out of know where which is a sad thing in my opinion.
The pro dilemma I will only talk briefly about, the action that was taken I would stand by. Some of the technicalities that went with it were not handled appropriately however. Not allowing the two involved skaters to continue was a decent call. It was more of a blatant foul and even when there is a slight retaliation you cannot look bias by taking harsher punishment to one. They were allowed to stay in the rink which was good, the public apology was great and the end of it.
On the topic of wheels I will just say by the end of the meet I thought it became more apparent that one was much more dominant then the others. I can tell you I never skated on anything like I did at Roanoke and it was impressive.
I hope there isn't a single person that walks away from Roanoke feeling proud or accomplished because anything that is important is a long ways away and there is always something to work harder on and train more for. So keep training!
I hope to see most of you during Easter and those in my region on the 1st.
P.S. Remember nutrition and sleeping are just as important as practice.

No comments: